Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Cold Brew Coffee


I recently went to a coffee shop and the barrister wanted $4 for a glass of cold brew coffee.  
 
"What makes cold brew coffee different from a regular cup of coffee, I ask as I begrudgingly had him way too much money for a drink that isn't beer.

"It has a unique taste all of its own because of the process.  Cold brew reduces the acidity", he tells me with a tone that wanted me to believe that a great scientific discovery was frothing from my glass.

"So, how do you make it", I ask in my smart ass voice.

"It's a long process. It takes 8 hours just to brew.  I get cheesecloth and course grain coffee and I fill up a five gallon container and careful cut a four inch square of the cheesecloth which I fill with the coffee and tie the ends with string.  I filter the water twice to get all of the impurities out. Then I carefully drop the cheesecloth into the water and refrigerate it at 36F and let it set overnight.  It's a long process", he assures me once again.

I take my coffee and leave.  When I go home, I find a few coffee packets from a recent hotel stay.  I open one up, drop it in a cold glass of water, put it in my refrigerator and go back to it the next morning.  My cold brew coffee awaited me.

No comments:

Post a Comment